I wish...

Have you ever felt sad that a big part of your makeup collections would not be used up and your favorite products might be wasted? How often do you use up a single powder, and compare to how many you have? Sigh...I wish, If just no makeup would ever expire...

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Secrets of Having Long and Curl Lashes without Applying False Lashes

Secret I: Basic Eyelash Curler
I used to hate curling my eyelashes and putting on mascara. Not only because I have typical Asian's straight down lashes, but also because my eye shape is flatter (there is not such thing like deep crease on my eyes...) and most lash curlers don't fit my eye shape so well.
Last year, many people was raving about the Shu Umera Eyelash Curler so I decided to give it a try. Well, it works definitely better than most other lash curlers I have tried. It doesn't use the traditional spring mechanism, that makes it effortless to curl.  It had not been replaced as my top favorite until I found the Japanese Super Wide Eyelash Curler.
Just like its name, the Japanese Super Wide has a 39mm wide plate head that will curl every lash on my eyes. It uses spring mechanism which I don't have any more difficult using it compare to the Shu Umera one. The plate head is not as curvy as the Shu Umera but not much (fits my eyes so much better than the Shu Umera).





If you found the Shu Umera Eyelash Curler works perfectly for you, stick with it. I just think the Japanese Super Wide works best for people have eyelashes and eye shape like mine. Shu Umera Eyelash Curler is no doubt a great product, but it's impossible for it or any product to fit all of us.

Secret II: Eyelash Serum and Primer


Eyelash Serum is used to protect your eyelashes from falling off when apply mascara or remove mascara, also it will moisturize your eyelashes and help them to grow thicker, longer, and stronger over time. I haven't tried many serums, but my favorite one so far is Shu Umera Lash Builder. It really prevents my eyelashes from falling off. More importantly it made my eyelashes grow longer and thicker after using for couple months. I am not talking about dramatic change, the difference is very small but I am already grateful about it.

I normally apply this serum first before the primer. The brush head is small enough to get to every single lash. Let it dry a little bit before putting on primer.
The serum is an extra step if you worry about your lashes fall off or not being strong enough. I am not an expert so I don' t know if it can help the growth of lashes on everyone. Definitely worth a try though.
Shu Umera Lash Builder is $33, you can find it at Shu Umera website.



Eyelash Primer is the Key for lengthening your lashes and prepare your lashes for easier and smoother mascara application. A lot of brands have some very good eyelash primer, such as Tarte, Lorac, L'Oreal, Dior, and Chanel etc. I am currently using the Tarte MultiplEye Lash Primer (step 2 of its collection). I found it very good at lengthening my eyelashes and separating them for even application; however, I noticed the curl was dragged down a little bit.
One thing to remember when you apply the primer, don't let it dry before you apply mascara. I suggest to do one eye at a time. Apply primer then apply mascara right after on one eye, next do the same on the other eye.
Tarte MultiplEye Lash Enhancing Primer is $22, you can find it at Sephora, Ulta, or Tarte website.

Secret III: Metal Eyelash Comb


I personally prefer metal eyelash comb than the plastic one because it better separates the lashes after applying mascara and get rid of the clumps easier. Also, metal one is easier to clean and less likely to break than the plastic one.
My current favorite is the Sonia Kashuk foldable double side lash comb. It is portable and travel friendly. You can fold up when not using it, save space and avoid accidentally being injured by the small metal needles of the comb head. One side  it has the lash comb, the other side is a brush I use it to brush my eyebrows sometimes.


















It is a multi-purpose tool, and you can carry with you in your purse if you want.
I heard Sephora has a very good metal lash comb, but more expensive for sure.
Caution: use it carefully when comb through your lashes. Don't poke your eyes, it's metal!!!!
Sonia Kashuk Lash Comb is $4.99, you can find it at Target or Sonia Kashuk Website.

Secret IV The Ultimate Curling Secret: Heated Eyelash Curler


I know you might be thinking what so good about it, and it is not something new. True, it is not anything new at all, but it is the method to use it that is new and does wonder for my straight down stubborn lashes.


















I remember I bought his heated eyelash curler many years ago, and I thought it was a garbage when I first used it. I wish I was more patient and tried different ways to use it back then. Normally, people would use it just like a regular lash curler before apply anything to their lashes. If you do so, it would not curl your lashes much, not nearly as good as any cheap drugstore lash curler you can find.
Don't forget that the heated lash curler is made of silicone--non-stiky and heat-resistant. It tells us that you can use it after you apply mascara without having your eyelashes stick to the lash curler and even pull your lashes off sometimes. I use it every day after I apply mascaras, and it never ever stick to my lashes. The heat will curl your lashes extremely well with mascara on. If you have straight down lashes, this will be your saver. It is my lash saver. Without this, I hardly find any mascara can hold the curls of my lashes.
Using the heated eyelash curler after mascara:

Suggestion of Use: before you apply your mascara, turn the heated lash curler switch on to give it some time warming up. Then by the time you finish the mascara application, the curler is ready to use. Just be careful when you first use it, use your finger tip to touch the heated rubber on the curling head and feel the temperature. Only use it when you feel the temperature is comfortable. Also, don't keep it on your lashes for more than 5-8s each time.

I found my heated lash curler on ebay long time ago. If you don't trust the sellers on ebay, you can find a similar one at Ulta, Target, Walmart, and many other drugstores. There are expensive ones I have seen, I doubt they would do that much different from mine.

You might notice I didn't include any mascara favorites, because I have so many favorite ones and they all have different effects. I will list some of my favorite mascaras and their amazing effects below (no particular order):
Dior-Dior Show Iconic (separate, volumize, curl)
Boots No.7-Exceptional Definition (separate, curl, very very natural finish)
Tarte-Lights, Camera, Lashes! (volumize, curl)
Covergirl-Lash Exact Waterproof (separate, curl)
Covergirl-Lash Blast Volume Waterproof (separate, volumize, curl)
Clinique-High Length Mascara (length, separate, curl)
Lorac-Special Effects (double sided with a good lengthening primer on one side, separate, volumize)
Kate (Japanese brand)-Wax Mascara (separate, extremely volumize)
Chanel-Inimitable Intense Sophistique (volumize)
Laura Mercier-Full Blown Volume Mascara (volumize, separate)
Shu Umera-Precise Volume Mascara (separate, volumize, curl)
Bare Minerals-Flawless Definition Curl and Lengthen Mascara (separate, volumize, curl)
Lancome-Hypnose Drama Waterproof (volumize, curl)
FairyDrops (Japanese brand)-Volume Burst Mascara Waterproof Las Vegas Edition (separate, volumize, curl)

For me, with the heated lash curler I don't really mind whether the mascara can curl or not. Of course, if they can it will make things easier! ^06

What I mentioned work for me might not work for you. Hopefully they are helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment